Performing Stars transforms the lives of low-income, primarily multicultural, children throughout Marin County by using enrichment programs to build pride, character, discipline
and self-esteem. Our programs help youth develop good work habits and positive social skills, enhance academic performance and professional readiness, improve critical thinking and communication skills, and gain the confidence they need to overcome the limitations imposed by poverty.
Our strategy has three unique components:
• We connect youth and their families to scholarship opportunities at existing enrichment programs throughout the county.
• We complement these programs with a unique continuum of supportive wrap-around services to ensure a successful, meaningful experience.
• We challenge students by exposing them to experiences outside of their familiar community environment.
Performing Stars participants have access to the following services:
• Assistance applying for scholarships to, and/or special placement in, existing afterschool and summer enrichment programs such as – music, theater and dance programs, sports and recreation classes, camps, training workshops, and internships.
• Opportunities to perform on stage at various community events.
• Help acquiring program related equipment, supplies, and uniforms (instruments, clothing, costumes, etc.) through special discounts and donations.
• Access to group field trips to the Symphony, the Nutcracker, the Mountain Play, Marin Theater Company, Marin Shakespeare, sporting events, and a variety of other local and regional events.
• Transportation assistance, chaperone support, and nutritious snacks
• Special invitations to workshops, presentations and performances by professional actors, dancers and musicians.
• Life-Skills workshops and coaching to help participants prepare and gain confidence to attend enrichment programs, performances and other events.
• Trusted mentors, advisors, and chaperones support participants in all aspects of their life, connect them to vital community services, and assist with family and program partner communications.
It takes more than a scholarship or discount performance ticket to inspire real change in a child’s life. Without our supportive wrap-around services, not only would these experiences be completely inaccessible to our students but they would also fall short of their truly transformative potential.